Thursday, April 23, 2009

Direct Sales Best Practices

Wow...sorry I missed a week posting. We are in rec league baseball insanity here, plus I've been feverishly writing articles on a variety of topics. Didn't realize I was a week behind.

This week, I would like to ask you for help for something I've wanted to write about for a long time - best practices by direct selling companies. Problem is, I need to hear from you what your company does really well. Something that is a terrific service to the reps, and not disguised or hidden. Let me give you an example.

I know of a company that claims to pay 30% commission. However they only actually pay 25% to the consultant, and put 5% into an account for buying supplies like catalogs. That is not a best practice! It's deceptive and elitest. Pay the reps what you say you pay them and let them decide how to spend it.

On the other hand, I'll commend Southern Living at Home for putting 5% of a consultant's personal sales into an account to buy supplies. Without claiming it to be compensation! (I assume they still do that.) Why is it a best practice?

Because it serves the consultants AND the company.

Consultants who have to spend $$ on catalogs are stingier with them. Period. When consultants can get catalogs and brochures basically "free" based on personal sales, they will give them out more freely, leave them places, etc. All furthering the interests of the company.

That's a best practice.

Please share with me your company's best practices. Email me at kdbates@aol.com or follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/kimberlybates and send me a message. As soon as I have eight to ten, I'll share them with everyone. (I've already got a couple, but would like another 5 -7)

SALES...the Life of the Party Plan

Kimberly Bates, the Better Seller Coach
http://www.beabetterseller.net
@kimberlybates on twitter

1 comment:

  1. Mostly direct selling products gives it agent high commission because their mark up is usually high and they don’t advertise.

    Direct Selling

    ReplyDelete